The frilled lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii) - Catching a Frilled Dragon! Reptilenesia

If you thought an adult frilled dragon was cool, look at the hatchling! Oh, my goodness! That is so cute! All right, guys, so right now we're on location in Darwin, Australia, and we're trying to make a video for the Brave Wilderness Adventure Kit. This is the reptiles and amphibians edition, and our goal is to get a frilled dragon to sit on top of it and flare out its frill. There's a big one on the backside of this tree and with any luck, I'm gonna be able to catch it and place it on top. We're gonna try to do this in a single take. Here we go. I got Mario over here scouting for me. Keep an eye peeled, let me know the height of the lizard. Now the strategy here is all about sneaking up to the trunk of the tree. 



I'll look to Mario, he'll give me the signal as to how high it is, and then I jump, swing my arm around the side, and make the catch. Got it! Oh, look at that! That is a big one. That is a big dragon. Look at the size of that lizard. One of the most iconic reptiles here in all of Australia, the frilled dragon. I see a body, we've got our lizard, and now it's time to get the epic shot of this (he groans) dragon up on top of the Brave Wilderness Adventure Kit. Whoa, how about that for a catch, huh? That is a good-looking dragon. Okay, so let's crouch down for a second. I'm trying not to get whipped in the face by that tail or bitten. They have really, really, really sharp teeth and I was bitten the other day, it was not fun. What I'm gonna do, Mario actually passes the dragon off to you. Let's see if we can get it properly wrangled on top of the box. Maybe, do you see that little pocket right there? Sure. Right there? Let's come right up to that. Did you get the catch? [Cameraman] Oh, yeah. This is awesome. This lizard is the only kind that has a frill like this. This species is the only one that has a frill.

They are incredibly prehistoric-looking, and you can see that frill is a big defense. Basically puffing up, saying, okay, you don't wanna mess with me. All right, I think this spot right here is probably pretty good. Set the kit down. Let's see. So I'm gonna hand the lizard off to you. Be very, very careful, very careful. You do not want to get bitten by this lizard. There you go, you got him? Yeah. You can see on my hand there, I actually already was bitten the other day by one. Trust me, it's not fun. I wanna try to get a blue sky, if possible. I can lighten up the foreground with no problem. Oh, that'll look sweet. We can get him on top, right there. I can get those blue clouds in the background. Hold on, I gotta move this stick. Okay. Man, this is one of the most challenging parts, getting the lizard to actually balance. Oh, that's great. I'm just gonna snap these. Gotta get him still, perfectly still. Yeah, we cannot move. I got a great frame. Okay, ready? Yeah. That's it, that's the shot right there. Oh, my gosh, this is the coolest shot we could ever get for the Brave Wilderness Adventure Kit. This is perfect, I'm gonna try one in portrait mode. Got it. And that is the frilled dragon. Good snag. All right, wow! Good job, guys. 



Well, that's the shot, that's all we needed. A beautiful photograph of a frilled dragon on top of the Brave Wilderness Adventure Kit, Reptile and Amphibians edition. The last thing to do is let the lizard back up onto the same tree where we caught it and maybe get a cool GoPro shot of it going away, what do you think? [Cameraman] Sounds good. All right. Let's walk back over to its tree. A great day out here in the park, picking up B roll shots and finally catching one of these big dragons to get on top of the Brave Wilderness Adventure Kit. Now for all the details on how you can get your subscription to the Brave Wilderness Adventure Kit, just click on the link in the video description below. I'm. Be brave! Stay wild! We'll see you at the next location. All right, ready? Let's try and get a cool shot of him going up the tree, so we'll let him kind of grip on. And you good? Yeah. One, two, three! Huh, sweet! The dude ripped the camera and everything. That was awesome. All right. Yeah. This one's mine. Mario! This is mine! I want it, give me that Adventure Kit! If you thought an adult frilled dragon was cool, look at the hatchling! Oh, my goodness. I didn't know that you guys found a hatchling. They were hanging on in this tree right underneath our nose, as they say. That is so cute! You know what's better than a baby frilled dragon?  What? Oh, two baby frilled dragons. Two baby frilled dragons. Check that out. 


Oh, my gosh, they're so cute. Oh, man. Just right on my finger. Twinsies. So, Mario, why are we finding babies right now? It's hatching season. Yeah, so at this point, they're hanging out in these smaller trees and they like the vegetation that's a little thinner. Since they're smaller, they hang out on the stems and the branches. Are these babies at threat from the adults? Would an adult frilled dragon eat the babies? An adult will eat one of these. However, look at that camouflage. We were actually standing underneath this tree for several minutes and basically, I just saw a little bit of movement. Like, oh, what's that? And a little frilly. On our days off, guys, we are always constantly working, and the fact that there are frilled dragons in this park, it was just the perfect opportunity to get some of that really good cryptic B roll that we're always after, and, of course, the opportunity to pick up a few extra photographs for the memory collection. See that little guy. So little! If you thought this lizard catch looked like a challenge, make sure to go back and watch the time I scaled a tree to get hands-on with a Laymon. And don't forget, subscribe and click the notification bell so you can join me and the crew on our next location.
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url